Taiwan Critical In China-U.S. “Chip War”

Objectivity 4.8 | Credibility 4.8 | Relevance 4.8

Tufts University Associate Professor Chris Miller authored Chip War, The Fight for the World’s Most Critical Technology, says that Taiwan’s importance to the world supply of semiconductors is much bigger in comparison to OPEC’s 40% share of the world’s oil production. Gordon G. Chang, PhD., author of The Great U.S.-China Tech War, says, “When we look at the world’s most advanced chips, Taiwan makes 92% of them.”  Chang says the other 8% are made in South Korea.  “That means that the world’s ‘made-to-order’ chips are made on China’s doorstep,” said Chang. “Both South Korea and Taiwan are vulnerable. And it’s not inconceivable that China could overtake both of them.”